The following are recommended water management strategies:
- irrigation water use management, such as irrigation scheduling, volumetric measurement of water use, crop residue management, conservation tillage, and on-farm irrigation audits;
- land management systems, including furrow dikes, land leveling, conversion from irrigated to dry land farming, and brush control/management;
- on-farm delivery systems, such as lining of farm ditches, low pressure center pivot sprinkler systems, drip/micro irrigation systems, surge flow irrigation, and linear move sprinkler systems;
- water district delivery systems, including lining of district irrigation canals and replacing irrigation district and lateral canals with pipelines; and
- miscellaneous systems, such as water recovery and reuse.
(Source – http://www.wateriq.org/water-saving/agricultural.asp)